Weed control

Asked August 6, 2014, 12:39 PM EDT

I have two questions. My first question is how to control weeds in sweet corn. I am using an anime 24d and i still have too much grass in my sweet corn. i would like to know how to get rid of that. also, how to obtain a applicators permit for herbicides and pesticides.

Erie County Pennsylvania

1 Response

#1 - Information on controlling grasses and broad leaf weeds in sweet corn in Pennsylvania can be found in the 2014 Pennsylvania Commercial Vegetable Production Recommendations starting on page F175 http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/FreePubs/PDFs/AGRS028.pdf

Another resource is the 2014 Ohio and Indiana Weed Control Guide http://agcrops.osu.edu/specialists/weeds/specialist-links/2010%20Weed%20Control%20Guide.pdf

Before applying any herbicide be sure that it is labelled for sweet corn in Pennsylvania.

#2 – Information on how to obtain a pesticide applicator’s license and certification study materials for the exam are below.

Certification and Exams http://extension.psu.edu/pests/pesticide-education/applicators/certification

Learn how to become a pesticide applicator. Determine if you should be a private applicator or what category you need to become a commercial or public applicator. Also, find the link to the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture to take pesticide application certification exams.

In Northwest, Pennsylvania contact the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture in Meadville at 814-332-6890.

Certification Exam Study Materials http://extension.psu.edu/pests/pesticide-education/applicators/certification/packets