Hard Red Winter Wheat

I'd like to sow 500 sq ft with Hard Red Winter Wheat. How much seed do I need? Also, where is a good place to order seed in relatively small quantities? And, when is a good time to plant in this (Susquehanna County) area? Bob

Susquehanna County Pennsylvania field crops field crops wheat

The recommended seeding rate in your area is 1.7 million seeds per acre. To achieve the 1.7 million seeds per acre recommended, you would need 40 seeds per sq ft or 20,000 seeds in your 500 sq ft area that you plan to seed. There are on average 12,000 seeds in a pound of wheat so you would need around 1.7 lb of wheat seed. If you are broadcast seeding rather than using a drill you should probably increase this seeding rate to 2 lb or a little more. The recommended planting date in your area would be Sept 20 to Oct 3. Unfortunately, I do not know where you can purchase small quantities of wheat seed in your county. You could contact local ag supply businesses in your area or contact Mark Madden (mxm53@psu.edu), the Penn State Extension Agronomist in your area, to see if he might know where you could get a small quantity of wheat seed locally.

There is more information on Winter Wheat production in the 2013-2014 Penn State Agronomy Guide, pages 88-89. You can access the Agronomy Guide on-line at: http://extension.psu.edu/agronomy-guide