GRASS

PLEASE ALLOW ME TO ASK A QUESTION AS IT RELATES TO GRASS ERADICATION. MY LANDSCAPER TREATED MY FRONT LAWN ON FEBRUARY 24, 2014 WITH FERTILIZATION WITH CRABGRASS PRE-EMERGENT. THE FOLLOWING MONTH, MARCH, 2014, MY ENTIRE LAWN HAD NO MORE GRASS EXCEPT FOR CLUMPS OF WEEDS AND WHAT APPEARS TO BE CRABGRASS. I HAD BERMUDAGRASS EVER SINCE I LIVED IN MY HOUSE IN 2001 AND I NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. NO SOIL COMPACTION, NO IRRIGATION PROBLEM AND NO DRAINAGE PROBLEM. THE SOIL SOAKED THE RAINWATER. I NEVER AERATED NOR RE-SEEDED BECAUSE MY LAWN WAS IN SATISFACTORY SHAPE. DID THIS LANDSCAPER USE A NON-SELECTIVE HERBICIDE BY MISTAKE OR A CONTACT HERBICIDE OR A SYSTEMIC HERBICIDE. IF HE USED A NON-SELECTIVE HERBICIDE WHY DIDN'T THE WEEDS AND CRABGRASS DIE? I KNOW THAT POST-EMERGENT IS BOTH A SELECTIVE AND NON-SELECTIVE HERBICIDE AND THAT PRE-EMERGENT IS SELECTIVE. I ALSO KNOW THAT A CONTACT HERBICIDE KILLS ONLY THE GREEN TISSUES ( GRASS) ABOVE THE SOIL AND THAT SYSTEMIC A NON-SELECTIVE HERBICIDE MOVES WITHIN THE PLANT FROM THE POINT OF APPLICATION. MY QUESTION IS THIS. IS IT POSSIBLE THAT A POST-EMERGENT CONTACT HERBICIDE WAS SPRAYED ON MY LAWN THAT KILLED MY GRASS ABOVE THE SOIL AND DIDN'T KILL SEEDS GERMINATING BELOW THE SOIL. I BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A STRONG PROBABILITY THAT A NON-SELECTIVE HERBICIDE WAS USED BY MISTAKE WHETHER IT WAS CONTACT OR SYSTEMIC. I WILL TRULY APPRECIATE YOUR KIND REPLY. PLEASE REPLY. I WILL BE VERY THANKFUL. THANK YOU. SINCERELY, JEROME WILSON 2016 HARVEST RED ROAD INDIAN TRAIL, NC 28079

Mecklenburg County North Carolina

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.