Is this mushroom edible?

Asked August 4, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT

I found this mushroom on and in a pile of pine wood shavings mixed with grass and oak leaves. Is it edible, and what kind of mushroom is it?

Stearns County Minnesota mushrooms lrk horticulture

1 Response

Mushrooms are very difficult to identify in this manner and it is unsafe for us to do so. A small variation can make a mushroom dangerous to humans causing intestinal problems, allergy problems and even death. I am attaching a link to the University of Minnesota site regarding Minnesota mushrooms. Hopefully this will help. Thanks for taking the time to ask us about mushrooms.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/food/farm-to-school/docs/mushrooms-fact-sheet.pdf