bright yellow leaves butternut squash

Hello, my butternut squash was doing well & actually started to produce squash, now some of the leaves are bright yellow orangish color. Please help.

Josephine County Oregon horticulture

Yellow leaves on squash can be the result of several different possibilities. Your best best might be to take a sample into the Master Gardener plant clinic in Josephine County Extension Office, 215 Ringuette St, Grants Pass, 541-476-6613. They operate Monday through Thursday 9 AM until 3 PM.

Squash are heavy feeders and if nitrogen is becoming depleted in the soil, the plant will "mine" nitrogen from older leaves to produce new leaves, flowers and fruit. In this case, the oldest leaves will become uniformly yellow. Treatment is as simple as providing supplemental fertilization with a fertilizer that is highest in nitrogen, e.g. the first number on the fertilizer is the largest.

There are a number of diseases and pests that can cause yellowed leaves.This fact sheet from the University of Minnesota (http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/diagnose/plant/vegetable/summersquash/leavesdiscolored.html) will give you a good indication of the possibilities.

I'm afraid without a sample to see or a lot more detailed information, I can't make any more diagnosis. I encourage you to take a sample to the Josephine County plant clinic if possible.