Grape on Steroids

In the spring of 2011 I purchased a grape of "Interlakken" variety from a nursery in Northern New York state, thinking it would survive the winter here (Southern Idaho). Last year it yielded about 3 bowls of delicious white grapes. This spring I found the vine not growing at all, and about the middle of may decided it had frozen. The winter was reasonably mild, low +10deg.F. A sprout started growing, and a fleshy vine grew rapidly, reaching 6ft. in about 6 weeks. I cut the trunk off about 2 inches above the ground after I saw the small sprout,the trunk was about 1 1/2 in. in diameter. Now there is a tangle of fleshy stalks with leaves as large as 14" at the bottom.

There is no dark skin on the vine,like it would normally grow. I would like to prune it and train it to the two wires on the trellis. My question is, is it OK to do this pruning now, or should I wait until next spring providing it survives intact.?

Twin Falls County Idaho grapes grape rootstocks winter injury

It sounds like the upper part of the vine was killed by the winter and the rootstock is now growing. Most grape vines are grafted and the top of the plant is a different grape than the root. I suggest you remove the plant since it will have inferior grapes which might not even be palatable or mostly seed.