I planted a Collette pear two years ago and it seemed to have come through...

I planted a Collette pear two years ago and it seemed to have come through the winter fine, but all of a sudden, the leaves turned crisp and dark brown. A master gardener told me it was fireblight as I suspected. She was not sure how to treat the hole. I have disposed of the tree above the graft, but should I also dig out the rootstock? Should I treat the soil with copper sulfate? I need to plant a different pear, "Summercrisp", in a different place? How far away from the healthy "Lucious" pear can it be for pollination? 2. When is the best time to prune cherry and plum trees? Thank you, Cindy Winslow

Dakota County Minnesota pear fireblight

1. You do not have to treat the hole but be sure to plant your new tree in a different location. Leave the root to decompose unless you need the extra work. You should plant your new tree within 50 feet for best pollination.
2. Prune in late winter/early spring.