I have a seed that I cannot identify. It is dark shiny brown and mostly flat....

I have a seed that I cannot identify. It is dark shiny brown and mostly flat. It is about 1 1/2 inches on diameter, and the only marking is where it was attached to the stem. I really do not know where it came from because it has just been at my parents' house for many years.

White County Tennessee horticulture

This seed appears to be what is colloquially referred to as a "sea-bean". This term refers to plants that have buoyant seeds that are dispersed by rivers and the ocean, leading to them often being found washed up on the shores of bodies of water. The seed will typically have a shiny outer coating and a 'corky' inner layer with a pocket of air somewhere inside- this is what allows the seed to float and travel.
It is difficult to know what plant this seed came from without sprouting it and identifying the flower. Clues as to location it where it was found and what time of year would help in tracking the currents where it came from- here is a website for sea-bean enthusiasts that may point you in the right direction:

http://www.seabean.com/

Hope this helped-