What is the two-inch hole in my yard, and what can I do about it?

For several years, there has been a two-inch hole in the lawn, about five feet from the house. I have made several efforts to fill it or eliminate its inhabitant. I have filled it with ammonia-soaked rags, mothballs, and stone; I have run water into it (the underground hole must be huge because the water did not back up); and, finally, I put mouse poison in it. Around the hole is discernible soil but no pile. I have never seen an animal near it, so I wonder whether its inhabitant is nocturnal. We have seen chipmunks, squirrels, opossums, skunks, and groundhogs and signs of raccoon activity (evidence of digging for grubs). What is the hole, and how can I get rid of it?

Franklin County Ohio holes in lawn dja

The hole probably is from chipmunks. I have similar holes in my yard from chipmunks. I don't think you can do much about it. Get a dog or cat? It is best not to use pesticides unless you know what is causing the holes.