Tomato blight

I have experienced a reoccurring disease on my tomato plants. It starts at the base and the leaves gradually wither and die. What do you think it is and what can I do about it?

New Castle County Delaware tomato care tomato blight

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert. Based on your description and the picture you have included I would lean towards some form of wilt, either Verticillium or Fusarium. Both are caused by a fungus but fungicides are not recommended. The very best way to determine what is happening is to get a sample over to the diagnostic lab so the precise issue can be determined. Please go to the Extension website: http://extension.udel.edu/lawngarden/
and look for "Our Services" - select "Plant Diagnostic Clinic" - this will give you instructions for submitting a sample.

Please let us know if you require additional information or if you have further questions.

You will receive a brief survey to let us know how we are doing and what we can do to improve our service. Please take a moment to fill it out!!

Thanks,

J.W. Wistermayer
UD NCC Master Gardener