Emptying the nest

Recently one of our chickens went broody. We successfully used our broody cage and she is now back to her usual self. When she was prevented from sitting on the nest all day one of our other chickens began kicking/scraping all of the clean straw out of the nest. She has continued this habit for a couple of weeks now. As soon as I replace the straw she empties it out again! We have had a reduction in the number of eggs laid by the others, some laid in the house and broken and I wonder if they are all more reluctant to lay because their usually cosy space is continually being emptied? I also wonder if putting the chicken in question in the broody cage herself would help?

Emma

Outside United States poultry housing poultry behavior

It is unclear from the information provided if the nest is the source of the problem for why the hens have stopped laying. Check out the factsheet on why my hens have stopped laying - http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/ASC/ASC192/ASC192.pdf - for some ideas on what else could be wrong.
The hen kicking the material out of the nest may be showing frustration behavior for some reason or is just showing dominance. Putting her in the broody cage might help get her to stop the practice.