I have a chestnut tree that has been losing leaves for the last 2 years. (all...

I have a chestnut tree that has been losing leaves for the last 2 years. (all leaves are gone by mid august)In the spring, I sprayed bonide mancozeb systematic liquid on the ground a few times. In addition, I have been raking fallen leaves.

Baltimore County Maryland trees and shrubs possible anthracnose possible walnut

The tree in your photo looks like a type of walnut, possibly an English walnut. It looks like it has been affected by anthracnose, a fungal disease. This can be prevalent during cool wet springs.followed by a few days of warm weather. Many homeowners have been reporting this. You may notice browning along the leaf veins. Anthracnose can affect oak, sycamore, ash, maples, etc. No control is necessary. Rake all fallen leaves to prevent overwintering spores. http://extension.umd.edu/learn/shade-tree-anthracnose
As you have observed, this does not kill the tree. However, it can be defoliated by mid summer. Fungicides are not practical for large trees.