snake in Colombia, South America

HI, Our daughter's friend is from Bucharamanga, Colombia, and on a recent visit to her family there they encountered a snake. I am wondering what kind it is.

Thanks, Cecelia

Cumberland County Pennsylvania wildlife damage management reptiles snakes snakes keeping them

Dear Cecelia, Thank you for contacting Extension with your natural resource questions. I am going to have to qualify my answer to your question. First, I'm not really up on South American snakes. Secondly, the photo doesn't give us a good look at the head. Head shape would clarify our identification. From my research, I believe it is a Columbian Red Tailed Boa. I trust this helps. Blessings - Andy

Thank you for your research and quick response. The folks in Colombia thought it was a boa, and also I notice that the tail is a different color - reddish.

You're welcome. I'm glad to help.