Hello, I have used Extended Round-up for years around the yard along with...

Hello, I have used Extended Round-up for years around the yard along with Weed-N-Feed for lawn. Is it safe to plant vegetable garden now? Its been about 2 years since we've used anything. Would the vegetables leach chemicals from soil and be in food? What about run off. Hubby wants garden lower than an area that was round-uped about 3 times a year. How deep does it soak into soil and for how long does it stay in lower layers. Round-up company said to not plant for at least a year or more, could they be biased? By the way..what is this climber? Thank you. I really an very anxious about eating things grown in old treated areas.

Rice County Minnesota vegetables herbicides

If the soil has not been treated with any chemicals for two years it should be safe to plant (and eat) crops now.

Glyphosate is highly adsorbed on most soils especially those with high organic content. The compound is so strongly attracted to the soil that little is expected to leach from the applied area. Microbes are primarily responsible for the breakdown of the product. The time it takes for half of the product to break down ranges from 1 to 174 days. Because glyphosate is so tightly bound to the soil, little is transferred by rain or irrigation water. One estimate showed less than two percent of the applied chemical lost to runoff (4). The herbicide could move when attached to soil particles in erosion run-off. Photodecomposition plays only a minor role in environmental breakdown. (http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/dienochlor-glyphosate/glyphosate-ext.html )

I'm not clear about what you'd said about planting lower? If you have lingering concerns about the past chemical applications I recommend that you use raised bed planters that contain new (fresh) garden soil.

It appears that you have two vines going here...one is some kind of philodendron and the other is a Cardinal Climber:
http://awaytogarden.com/cardinal-climber-and-its-cousins-annual-vines-that-are-hummingbird-favorites...

I hope this is helpful. Please contact AaE again if you have further questions.