ny ornamental crabapple tree is severely infected with apple scab. it no...

ny ornamental crabapple tree is severely infected with apple scab. it no longer makes berries. it must be over 50 yrs. old. almost all of the leaves have yellowed and falled off. do you think there is still hope for my tree? thank you for your help!

Itasca County Minnesota apple scab

I too have a tree in a similar age and condition yet every year it comes back fine in the spring. My tree is far to large to spray so I live with the problem. Sanitation is said to help but I feel the older varieties did not have as much resistance as newer ones. Wait until spring and see what happens. Once leaves are infected it is too late to save them and spraying will only help new growth.

thank you for your reply. i think it is true about newer trees not being as susceptible. i planted a small ornamental crabapple tree next to the older one about 10 yrs ago, and it has not been infected at all. thank you!