I have been growing sour cherries(pie cherries)in my back yard in Washington...

I have been growing sour cherries(pie cherries)in my back yard in Washington DC for a few years now. Balaton and Montmorency are the varieties. This year for the first time I had a major pest problem. As the cherries approached ripeness, tiny holes with black bruising around them would appear on the body of the cherries. Upon opening an affected cherry, one could find a very small, slender larva, about 3/8 inch long and very thin. Almost all the fruit were ruined by this pest. Unfortunately, I never identified an adult, so I don't know whether it was a fly, moth or something else. Can you please advise me what pest this might have been and what I can do next spring to defeat them?

District of Columbia County District of Columbia

This Question is Waiting for an eXtension Answer

What's an eXtension Answer? Your questions are answered by Cooperative Extension and University staff and volunteers from across the United States. That means the answer given here will be objective, research-based and credible.