I have a 'volunteer' squash-looking vine, very healthy and invasive in a pot...

I have a 'volunteer' squash-looking vine, very healthy and invasive in a pot on my (condo) deck which I would like to identify. In the past I have tried to grow a loofa (found the season to be too short) and had a pumpkin in that pot. They always had yellow blossoms but this 6 or 8' vine now has white flowers. Can you tell me what this might be ? It is strangling my fine tomato, but I can deal with that, and am enjoying watching - whatever it is. The blossom color is what I am now questioning. Thank you, Jean H

Carroll County Maryland

Vegetables such as squash and pumpkins will all cross with one another. This can produce off-types when planted the following year. This accounts for some of the bizarre looking squash-like fruits that grow on plants. You will just have to wait and see what develops from the volunteer.