I have a few perenial grasses (sorry, I don't remember the type) that have...

I have a few perenial grasses (sorry, I don't remember the type) that have always done great. As they get older, they are creating a dead spot in the middle. What do I do to keep them looking full?

Hennepin County Minnesota ornamental grass

Thank you for your question.

It's time to divide your grasses. Grasses will die out in the middle as they age. Division is relatively straight forward and is easiest to do in the early spring before the plants full emerge.

To divide grasses, you need a spade and a hand or tree saw. Dig out the entire plant. Cut the root ball into quarters. Cut off the part of the each section that is dead. Replant the sections, spacing them appropriately for the particular grass species. Water well.

You can read about various cold climate ornamental grasses in Dr. Mary Meyer's book Ornamental Grasses for Cold Climates: http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/landscaping/ornamental-grasses-for-cold-climates/

Best of luck and thanks for contacting Ask an Expert.