Record keeping systems

Hi,
I'm looking for suggestions for clever ways for a hobbyist with a pretty large operation might best keep records.
The current system is numbering and tagging with a big ol' spreadsheet that just maintains parents.
I'm hoping there is a nice packaged system that includes image files and descriptions that I could use, or at least a clever re-use of a tool like Evernote.

Thanks for the help!

Hennepin County Minnesota beef cattle technology farm management animal identification and records farm record keeping

I assume you are talking about a beef cow herd, the resource to use has been developed by Oklahoma State University Extension. The pdf outlines record keeping software for an operation and describes what each will do:

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1926/CR-3279web.pdf

I am a swine field specialist and could help you more if your operation happens to be swine. We have group tracker and sow tracker software written for improving management in a swine herd.