I have six tomato plants. They have been growing great with what was looking...

I have six tomato plants. They have been growing great with what was looking like lots of tomatoes. However, as the tomatoes ripen there is a gray/black rot on the bottom of most of the tomatoes. The tomatoes are small and rotting from the bottom. It looks like I will not get much yield after all. What causes this and what should I do about it?

Worcester County Maryland vegetables blossom end rot

You are most likely referring to blossom end rot. The bottom (blossom) end of the fruit bottoms becomes brown and rotted. Promptly remove any fruits that have blossom-end rot or are badly malformed. This nutritional disorder is caused by a lack of calcium in developing fruits and is brought on by dry conditions and inconsistent watering. Water your plants deeply and regularly and keep them mulched. Tomato plants may need 1-2 gallons of water each at least twice a week during droughty periods. Plants tend to grow out of the problem.
See our publication for tips on reducing blossom end rot http://extension.umd.edu/sites/default/files/_images/programs/hgic/Publications/HG56%20IPM%20Tomatoe...