Is my tree in danger

I just noticed my (white pine?) has all this white linty stuff all over it. I have never noticed it before and is my favorite tree. Is my tree in danger? I dont know and have been unable to learn what it is and what caused it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Worcester County Massachusetts trees and shrubs plant disease

Your tree is a hemlock and white stuff is the egg masses of an insect called the Hemlock Woolly Adelgid. When the eggs hatch, the insect will be in the crawler stage, seeking out a feeding site a little bit away from the egg sacs. They will then anchor in to feed with a piercing/sucking mouthpart, taking nutrients from the tree.
Watch closely for crawlers to hatch out, then treat with a horticultural oil when the temperatures are below 85 degree F, so as to not burn the tree. An alternative treatment is to use a soil drench insecticide that contains the active ingredient Imidacloprid.

Regards,
Carol Quish

Wow, thank you for your time. This should help greatly.