I planted leeks in a tray early in the spring and then planted them in my...

I planted leeks in a tray early in the spring and then planted them in my garden. I doubt that they will have "grown" enough to take them out of the garden this fall. If that's the case, can I cover them with something and take them out of the garden next spring as I think they would be larger in diameter? I live in zone 3/4 in Osakis MN Some of my yellow & purple onions last year were volunteers this spring and I replanted them this spring. I think they will be okay in the fall. I hope. Any suggestions? Thank you for all your help. It's a great service to be able to ask you questions.

Douglas County Minnesota

You might get away with it using a lot of mulch if we have a mild winter, however, it is doubtful considering the last two. Here is more information http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/vegetables/leeks/
As gardeners we love to gamble.

Have a nice summer.