Hi My D'Anjou pear has blackened leaf edges on all of the youngest leaves. Is...

Hi My D'Anjou pear has blackened leaf edges on all of the youngest leaves. Is this leaf curl? Should I act now? later? Thanks, Mark

Montgomery County Maryland

We're not quite sure exactly what is happening to your pear tree. On the one hand, a very common disease attacking pear trees this year is 'fire blight'. This bacterial disease commonly attacks the tip ends of branches and results in blackening leaves and 'flagging' of the branch tips. It may be appropriate for you to prune off the tips of your branches below the black leaves. Your leaf problem, however, is more indicative of environmental stress. If you tree is less than two years old, it may simply be that the tree is not well enough established to handle periods of environmental stress, e.g., variations in heat, cold, rain, etc.
LS

Thanks!

I had fire blight on neighboring apples and this looks very different. Given that the tree is very young and the symptoms have not gotten much worse over the last ten days I tend to think your environmental stress idea is a great one. I have not yet watered it this year and it has had extensive shoot growth.

Thank you for your help!