unknown insect

We were given some plants from a friend living near Hamburg PA. Not sure if that has anything to do with this or not - however - we have "new" insects in our yard and we cannot identify them. We are hoping you can help us. Is there a way we could email you a copy of the picture we took so that you could identify it for us. It has six legs - 2 very long antenna - it doesn't fly - and it has a "scorpion type" tail - which bends upwards and curved toward its antenna - as if it is ready to sting you. We have lived here for 20 years and have never seen anything like this insect. HELP.

Lancaster County Pennsylvania insect issues insect identification

You can respond to this answer and attach a picture which will greatly assist in the identification of the insect. Thank you

Here are 2 photos I was able to get of one it these unknown insects. I hope you are able to view them. I am not a good photo taker.

I believe the insect is the wheel bug, part of the bee assassin family in the nymph stage. The attached photo is a Wheel bug (Arilus cristatus) nymph feeding on Colorado potato beetle larva and I believe you will see the similarities to your photo. Bee assassins are common to this area. Additional information can be found at http://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=Wheel-Bug

Thank you so much. We have NEVER seen any of these insects before. The images really show us how it changes from the young to the adult Wheel Bug. Interesting fact for us - is that our Amish neighbors told us recently that they planted fields of potatoes. The 6 children were collecting the potato bugs by the thousands off the plants. They were having a contest at who could collect the most. One child had counted over 1500 bugs. We were shocked. Could the influx of this "new" bug to our back yard - be due to those potato plants ??? We are so appreciative of your response and the identity of this insect.
Many, many thanks.
Theresa and Fred Sneller 345 Jacobs Road Narvon, PA

Thank you for your response. My first instinct was the bee assassin but I had never seen wheel bug in the nymph stage. It took a bit of research to find the match. It's highly likely that the potato farm is the source. I'm certain you'll find the Amish good neighbors.