Crepe myrtle tree winter damage.

Does anyone on your staff do home consultations. I would like to save my tree if possible. The portion of the tree ( about 3/4 of it) is beginning to bloom. I don't know what to do about the remaining portion which appears to be dead. Should the dead portion be trimmed now or wait to see if sprouts may form on the dead looking portion? Would very much appreciate help.

Cumberland County Pennsylvania trees and shrubs master gardener program crepe myrtle horticulture

Hi, we do not provide home consultations.

The parts of your plants thatb have not put out new growth are more than likely not going todo so. There are two routes ypu can go; you can cut out the dead stuff now or wait until winter and cut the entire plant down and next spring it should send up new growth, provided that we do not experience another winter like we had this past winter.

Regards