My 15 year old linden has been in very wet clay due to sump pump drainage the...

My 15 year old linden has been in very wet clay due to sump pump drainage the last few years. This year the leaves are very small. I am guessing root rot is the issue. I have made sure the sump pump water gets to the street and will no longer be an issue. Is there anything to help try to recover the tree?

Washington County Minnesota

At this point there is little more that you can do to help this tree. The fact that it has leafed out and seems otherwise healthy is a good sign. I would avoid any extra fertilizer for a few years if possible (if this tree is in a lawn that gets fertilized it will take up those extra nutrients). If the root system has been damaged by excess water it will be too small for the size of the crown. Fertilizing will encourage leaf and branch growth, and the root system may not be strong enough to keep the tree stable.

I hope this is helpful. Please contact AaE again if you have further questions.