I have a Ivory silk lilac tree. It has been in the ground one year. This...

I have a Ivory silk lilac tree. It has been in the ground one year. This spring it started to produce leaves but only 3 to 5 leaves that are pretty small. On the trunk of the tree about 5" from the root area two branches formed with beautiful leaves. I asked the the nursery about it and was told it is dead. I didn't think a tree with green leaves was dead. I know we had a very cold winter here in Park Rapids. What would you do if this was your tree? Thank you for your help, Gina

Hubbard County Minnesota

Your new tree is showing major damage - probably from the harsh winter. While it is putting out a few leaves it is best to consider it "dead" and replace it sooner, rather than later. It may struggle for a while longer but it will never achieve a healthy form and will then be subject to wind and other stresses.

If the nursery says it's dead you may be able to get a replacement from them if the tree was under the normal 1-year warrenty.