We have three chickens a little over a year old and recently have had a...

We have three chickens a little over a year old and recently have had a problem with one. In front of my wife and away from the coop, one chicken laid three eggs in succession all without shells. Subsequently, she has laid some eggs with misshapened shells but not in the nesting area. I've read this can be caused by unsanitary conditions. I clean the coop daily so I don't think that is the reason. She is still active with a good appetite. I dusted the coop with dolomite for any mites. They are free range are fed with a commercial feed mix some earthworms and vegetable matter. Any assistance you can give will be greatly appreciated. Thank you Richard Hyams

Cuyahoga County Ohio

Soft and misshaped egg shells are often cause by a lack of calcium in the diet. I would recommend that you offer oyster shells/grit free choice to your hens and this should take care of the problem. If you are having problems with hens not laying their eggs in the nest you can purchase a plastic egg and leave it in the nest and pen them in the coop for a day or 2 to train them where they need to lay their eggs.