I have basil plants that have little black dots on the underside of the...

I have basil plants that have little black dots on the underside of the leaves. At first we thought it was dirt that had splashed up when we watered. But then we noticed that the topside of the leaf was yellowing. The leaves will continue to blacken underneath and yellow on top and then fall off. We have 2 plants in a pot on the back porch and more plants out in the vegetable garden which is about 125 ft away. Both locations have the same spots. I am guessing these dots are little bugs that are sucking the life out of the leaves. HELP~ what do I do? Thanks!

Howard County Maryland herbs basil possible downy mildew

Your photos were out of focus so we could not make an accurate identification. It is possible you may be dealing with downy mildew on the basil, a fungal disease. Look at photos on our website. If this is what you are noticing, it is not too late to plant seeds or replant. http://extension.umd.edu/learn/basil-downy-mildew