"Stickers have made our sandpit unbearable"

We built a sandpit a couple of years ago to use to play outdoor games. I don't know the proper name, but "Goat Heads" (stickers from thistle) are overrunning it. We have people coming for the 4th of July and we were hoping to use it. After several hours of raking, the only thing I can think of is to sift the sand through a screen. Is there any easier/faster way?
Marynell Lochard

Larimer County Colorado

Hi Marynell,

Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do. Yes, you can try to sift the sand to remove them, or perhaps consider removing all the sand and replacing it. I know that neither is a good option. If there's room in the pit, maybe add more sand?

For the plants that are growing, consider using herbicides or pulling them when young. As they mature, they become exceedingly difficult to eradicate. They have a small yellow flower, so treat prior to flowering.

Maybe play croquet on the lawn instead? :)