Why won't my trumpet vine bloom?

Why won't my trumpet vine bloom? Gets more than six hours of sun.Have fertilized. Gets water.Very green. looks great no blooms. 4 years old. Thanks

Ramsey County Minnesota

The following comments from B/ Rosie Warner of Purdue University answer your question:

"Although trumpet vine (trumpet creeper) is quite a vigorous vine, it can be a bit fussy when it comes to flowering. I get as many questions on how to kill this rampant vine as I do about why it won't bloom. The plant thrives in infertile soil; it seems the best flowering specimens are those that are neglected and never fertilized or watered. Fertilizer applied to the planting bed or even to surrounding lawns could cause the vine to expend its resources producing massive foliage at the expense of flowers.

The plant flowers on new season's growth so late spring or early summer pruning would remove the flower buds (winter or early spring pruning before new growth would be fine). Another possibility is that your plant was raised from seed and is still in a juvenile stage of development. It is not unusual for seedling plants to take 10 years or longer to become mature enough to flower."