h pylori case

To whom it may concern, I need to test my well water for helicobacter pylori. How can I do so please? Thanks R.

Outside United States

Hi,

Testing for H. pylori is not commonly done on water samples. Research has indicated that H. pylori is only found in the presence of other fecal indicators. First you should test for fecal contamination indicators such as Fecal coliform, E. coli or Fecal Streptococcus. If these tests come back positive, then consider a test for H. pylori. I don't know where you would go to find labs. I would recommend asking at your local Department of Health (or the equivalent).

If the tests come back positive, for fecal contamination, you should consider some sort of disinfection, UV light, chlorination, or even boiling will inactivate the bacteria.If you have contamination, you should disinfect anyway.

thanks a lot. I'll test it for E.coli first and see if other pathogens are present. You've been of great help.