Considering growing goldenseal in an possible Aquaponics system.

Hi All, I am considering going solar, and starting p an aquaponic garden on my little farm when I retire in a year or two.

I have a 12 acre farm in a rural setting in East Texas. I have a 1+ acre pond that holds 6.5 acre ft. of water that can be topped off with well water. I have fish that are feed via a auto feeder. The pond is diffuses aerated.

I plan on a 10,000 square foot garden area, under a tracking solar 48 to 50 panel unit, with flood and drain beds. The water supply will be pulled from the pond in the feed area, run through settlers and aerators tanks to convert the water to nitrate water from nitrite and ammonia water.

I hope I included enough info on where and how I want to grow golden seal, if possible.

My farm is mostly trees and I do have a lot of hickory and popular trees that might be additional area on the ground for goldenseal growth. The soil from what I see on the VA tech you-tube videos would require me to modify the soil since most is red dirt and Iron ore rock under the surface sandy loam which is from 2 or 3 inches to maybe 8 or 9 inches at best, on 10% or so of the property. The total property slopes to the pond area.

I would like to consider growing goldenseal (high quality/ high alkalinity) if possible. I will be growing raised bed gardens for food crops for family and friends and goldenseal seems to be an addition that makes sense to me.
Now the questions I have is, can goldenseal be grown in East Texas,in a raised bed aquaponic setting? If not, Why? Would Goldenseal grow under the proper trees on my acreage with proper soil. Would the product need to be watered during the hot July, August and September summers? Is it even a reasonable possibility to grow goldenseal in East Texas? Is there a co-op for sale and distribution in East Texas? Are there growers in the East TX area and an Extension agent that have knowledge and would share knowledge before I start and help me to increase my knowledge curve? Can this be a business that has some or any tax benefit?
Thanks in advance for your attention to this matter.

Upshur County Texas

I am not sure golden seal will grow in your area. Please go to this web site to get some information about the growing conditions required http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/hil/hil-131.html

These are perennials plants. The roots are the value. Must be grown in shade. Harvest in every 2 to 3 years.

speak to your county agent

Upshur County Extension
903-680-8128
http://upshur.agrilife.org/