Please help. Replacing diseased roses

loved my knockout roses but they must go as they are all infected with that virus- am looking to plant something that will grow as large as those knockout roses did-and wondering if the ground is affected with that virus-if I also need to replace the soil- will not be planting roses-none could ever compare to what I had- so sad-

Sussex County Delaware

Thank you for contacting Delaware Cooperative Extension. You may receive a short survey after this question is answered.
Rose rosette disease is caused by a virus, carried by a very small mite. It only affects rose species. It will not survive in the soil, but can possibly survive in the roots if they are left and not removed. You do not need to remove the soil.
Replacement shrubs for a sunny location might include some native species, better suited for our area. Abelia, Calycanthus (sweetshrub), and Clethra (summersweet) are all shrubs that flower and do well in a sunny location. Some Viburnums might also fir the space. You could refer the the publication "Plant for a Livable Delaware" published by UD Cooperative Extension for more information. See the link for the brochure:
http://extension.udel.edu/factsheet/livable-delaware-series-plants-for-a-livable-delaware/

My best,
Nancy

Thank you. Also wanted you to know our entire neighborhood has been effected. My plant lady, hooked on plants, had not heard if it down here yet

Since you mention that your whole neighborhood is affected, please know that the virus came in on wild invasive multiflora rose, and then transferred to cultivated roses. Eradicating multiflora rose along hedge rows and tree lines may help to reduce the amount of virus that mites may carry to cultivated rose plantings. Affected twigs may be trimmed back early, but if symptoms come back a second year, plants should be removed.

My best,
Nancy