Tree has leaves every year in summer. This year almost no leaves

I am not sure of the type of tree, but would like to get the leaves back. Any suggestions? I believe it is an oak.

Erie County Pennsylvania

Hello, and thanks for using the Ask an Expert System,

The lack of leaves on your tree is a symptom that something is seriously wrong. It is impossible to diagnose the problem without additional information. For example; Are there branches with no leaves, or do all the branches have a few leaves. It would help to know if there was any sign of insect damage or disease. Has the soil around the tree been disturbed? Have weed or brush killing chemicals been used in your neighborhood? Etc.

If the damage is as extensive as you indicate in your question, it may not be possible to save the tree. I suggest that you call your local Penn State Extension Office and ask to speak to a master gardener. With some additional information the master gardener might be able to help you.

You can contact the Erie County Penn State Extension office at;
Address: 850 East Gore Road, Erie, PA 16509-3798,
Phone: 814-825-0900
E-mail: ErieExt@psu.edu

Office Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - Noon, 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.