Last week, on this website, you had pictures of bugs at the top for you...

Last week, on this website, you had pictures of bugs at the top for you banner. There was a red and black beetle on the upper right hand portion. More black with the red markings. Can you tell me what that beetle was? I have sunflowers that are hosting those. They seem to like the stalk and will make little brown scars on the stalks. They aren't killing the flower but making small blemishes. Ants come to those blemishes. They seem to have an elipitcal body with no wings (at least they don't fly). They move quickly to the other side of the stalk when they feel threatened. The antenna don't seem abnormally long. I have researched some and know that it's not a sunflower weevil. My pictures aren't great from this morning so I will try to take another one and get it sent if you need more information.

St. Mary's County Maryland sunflowers insect identification possible beetle

Please send us digital photos of the insect on the sunflowers so we can see what you are referring to.