blueberry cuttings

I had a wood pallet fall and break several stems on my fruiting blueberry plant. Can I use the stems to start new plants?

Multnomah County Oregon

Frankly, this is not a good time to root blueberry cuttings. Woody stems (hardwood cuttings) are best rooted during winter, when the plants are dormant.

You might be successful if you have flexible green tip growth (softwood cuttings). (The challenge here is that the preferred timing is prior to flowering.) If you want to try, cut a stem long enough to have 4 sets of nodes (places where the leaves grow on the stem) with full size leaves. Trim the stem about a quarter of an inch below the bottom node, then remove the leaves from that node and the next node up. Insert into a small pot filled with moist seedling mix, ensuring that the bottom two sets of nodes are covered. Water and let drain, then place in a makeshift “greenhouse” environment, perhaps a clear plastic bag with is closed at the top. Set in a bright but not sunny place.

Resource for you:
- Blueberry propagation (Although this is written for large scale growers, it should be useful to you.) http://berrygrape.org/blueberry-propagation/