spruce tree replacement

I have 3 very large spruce trees that have needle drop. Once removed can new spruce be planted in the same space? If not, what might be good instead in mid-Michigan? Thanks.

Ingham County Michigan trees and shrubs urban forestry

Dear InghamCo., MI, Thank you for contacting Extension with your natural resource questions. Let's see what we can do with your situation. In a simple answer, yes you can replant right over top of where and older tree has died, but you may not want to, or you may want to plant a different species. First think about the trees that are dying. How old are they? What type of spruce are they (Colorado/Norway/red)? What is their position in the yard (north/south/east/west of the house)? What is killing the trees? There in the Ingham Co./Lansing area, I'm sure someone from MSU Extension or its Forestry School (maybe a student) would love to either look at pics from the trees or visit your house. Once you determine if your large trees are not dying from a soil borne disease, go ahead and replant spruce. If it is a soil borne disease, I would go with another species. Think about this; we harvest trees all the time in the woods and directly replant within a year with no ill effect to the new trees. I hope this helps. Contact me directly if you have any more questions. Blessings. - Andy