Italian cypress tree care and trimming

I have Italian Cypress Trees which are branching off from the main trunk of the tree. Should these additional branches be removed at their early stages or left to continue as a major part of the tree? Thank you. Phil Scardino.

Aransas County Texas trees and shrubs horticulture

Hello Mr Scardino,
If you wish to maintain the columnar shape of your Italian cypress, then I recommend pruning off the side branches that are growing beyond that shape. Cut them back almost to the trunk, leaving just a very small stub. Water the tree deeply after pruning and, assuming your trees are well established (growing in the ground at least 2 years), I recommend a deep watering every 2-3 weeks through the end of September. If they were planted in the last 2 years, then water every week to week-and-a-half. Italian cypress are someone vulnerable to root rot, so should not be watered frequently. If they receive irrigation because they are in a lawn, then deep water monthly.
It is fine to leave the side branches if you like them.
Please feel free to contact the Extension office in Aransas County at 790-0103 if you would like further information.