Thank you so much for your support and outreach to the community. My doctor...

Thank you so much for your support and outreach to the community. My doctor recommended that I discontinue food supplement pills. They were causing some serious problems for me. I am now turning to my garden as a resource for the nutrients that are essential for life. My question is how can I be sure that parsley, romaine lettuce, collards, bok choy, okra, beet green, turnip greens, chard, celery and watercress have all of the vitamins and minerals in them that is listed on the USDA food content charts? Our garden is organic and we only put on it in the fall the compost from our annual accumulation of organic refuse out of the kitchen and the tree leaves from the neighborhood. Is there anything else that we need to add to the soil? For example, what needs do collards have to achieve levels of maximum calcium, magnesium, vitamin B complex and the trace minerals? I need this information for all of the vegetables I listed. Do these plant synthesize any nutrients or is all of it due to uptake from the soil? Where does Vitamin B come from? Where does biotin, betaine or choline come from? These are critical for brain function. I am grateful for all of the information you sent me, but I am still puzzled about this issue because these plants are critical from me to raise right now. I will be dehydrating these above listed items as well as additional varieties of vegetables and fruits. I plan to store them in jars after vacuum packing them. They will be stored in a cool dry room in the basement. According to USDA the vegetables lose only 5 percent of their nutritional value in the dehydrating process while losing about 82 percent of their mass. I hope this a true assessment. I have gone through this process with kale and ground it into powder. I take it every day in a fluid. The pain in my left hip is greatly reduced and I can sleep much better. Thank you for your kind attention to this matter. With Warm Regards, Nancy L. Walter

Dakota County Minnesota

Nancy, plants draw their nutrients from the soil and if the soil can produce the plant, then it has sufficient nutrients to impart into the plant. It sounds like you are taking care of your garden well. You would need to connect with a horticulturist if you want to try and increase certain nutrients in the plants....but I'm not sure that is possible. Yes dehydration is a great method of concentrating nutrients from plant based foods.