I noticed one of my Bradford pears ( it is a Cleveland something that is...

I noticed one of my Bradford pears ( it is a Cleveland something that is supposed to be more hearty than a regular Bradford pear) has a little water standing in the "V" of the trunk. My question is what can I do to prevent the freezing of the water in the winter and weakening the trunk so it splits. I really do not want to remove the tree as it is part of boundary line. Thank you.

Harford County Maryland trees and shrubs invasive species bradford pear trees

Bradford pear trees are notorious for having weak crotches in their trunks. The angle tends to be too narrow and prone to breakage. Many Bradfords self-destruct when they are about 15 years old. They are also not terribly long-lived trees. Which is all to say that you might start thinking about replacing it, because there really isn't anything you can do about the water in the tree crotch. Sorry.

If its any consolation, Bradford pear (or any Callery pear variety such as Cleveland) is now listed as a foreign invasive plant in Maryland (and really all over the East Coast), so we dont' recommend planting them anymore. There are many other beautiful flowering small ornamental trees, thankfully, to choose from.