We have a hedge of manhattan euonymous which is infested with white winged...

We have a hedge of manhattan euonymous which is infested with white winged flying insects. If you shake the bushes, hundreds fly in the air. There is some damage to the euonymous from them. I don't think it's scale because the insects are at least 1 mm long and that seems to be bigger than the pictures of scale insects I've seen and also these insects fly. I don't have a picture for you, but I can get one if you need it. Thanks very much.

Baltimore County Maryland

There is a small moth whose larvae is the euonymus caterpillar. You do not mention any damage to the shrubs, but these caterpillar do make a little webbing to hold leaves together and hide inside them. They also eat the leaves. Here is the information on them from our website's Diagnostic: http://plantdiagnostics.umd.edu/level3.cfm?causeID=63

If this is not right, please send us photos.

Absolutely spot on reply. Looked a little closer and there's a lot of webbing in the plant and many leaves are chewed up. Definitely the little white moth you mentioned. Thanks for your help.