Some of the leaves on one of my witch hazels are turning brown and shriveling...

Some of the leaves on one of my witch hazels are turning brown and shriveling up. I suspect a fungus, and wonder what fungicide you would recommend that I use. Thanks very much for your advice.

District of Columbia County District of Columbia trees and shrubs shrubs witchhazel phyllosticta witchhazel dieback

Witchhazel get a fungal disease known as Phyllosticta. It is more common in years with heavy rains and frequent cloud cover. The disease starts out as spots with light centers and dark borders. Plants can be defoliated during high infection periods.

Prune your witchhazel to improve air circulation and promote quick leaf drying.

It is too late to spray anything this year, but next spring you may want to spray a preventative fungicide, especially if prolonged wet weather is forecast. Many fungicides should work, including Cleary's 3336. Look for it listed on the label of the fungicide.