grandfathered property

I live in Harrison township, and I recently bought a house that is in a small business zone. The property next door to me is supposed to be grandfathered as a boatyard. There is only one boat on the property. The lot looks like a junkyard! There's a boat hoist, several trailers (not boat trailers) and 20 or more used tires. My question is does this mean they have to conform to the zoning now that the property hasn't been used for it's intended grandfathered use? I've lived here since 2011 and the property has stayed the same.

Macomb County Michigan

You may want to call your code enforcement and have them investigate the property. Even though it appears that the use has been discontinued, your adjacent property owner may not be required to conform to the local zoning code.
Although he/she may be required to clean up the property.

The determination concerning the status of the use will be based on the review of the circumstances. You may also want to talk to your local planning official to determine what the township thinks of the activity and the status of the use.