- I was unaware of Oak Wilt and had my pin oak pruned in late May of this...

- I was unaware of Oak Wilt and had my pin oak pruned in late May of this year (May 23, actually). I had some broken branches from an ice storm over the winter, which were hanging precariously and motivated the need for attention. The tree pruners also removed a number of branches that were in the way of the house. The wounds were not treated. The tree is fairly large- about 28” in circumference. So far, the leaves look green and healthy. The tree is located in South Euclid; Ohio, in Cuyahoga County. Is there anything I can do to proactively mitigate any chance of Oak Wilt, or is it too late? Finally, has Oak Wilt been an issue in Cuyahoga County in the last year or two?

Cuyahoga County Ohio pruning oaks pin oak

There have been cases of oak wilt in northeast Ohio. The OSU Extension fact sheet located at http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/3000/pdf/HYG_3306_09.pdf talks about treating wounds and keeping vigilant for symptoms. I hope this helps answer your questions. I wouldn't panic about the issue but keep an eye out for the symptoms.

Thank you! I appreciate it. I am panicking a bit already, I must say. I will keep an eye out.