I have a Honeycrisp apple tree that we will be letting fruit this year. My...

I have a Honeycrisp apple tree that we will be letting fruit this year. My neighbor also has one which always has a severe apple maggot problem. I'll be spraying both trees this summer but I just realized there is a flowering crab 100' away. Do they also harbor apple maggots and am I just stuck with apple maggots in my apples? I'm in St. Paul.

Ramsey County Minnesota

The best way to avoid all the spraying and those awful apple maggots is to bag your apples. The plastic sandwich bag is placed around the apple when it is about the size of a green olive. it is a bit labor intensive in the beginning but well worth the time as once you have bagged an apple, it remains in the bag until you pick it ripe in the fall. We have step-by-step directions at http://www.extension.umn.edu/garden/yard-garden/fruit/apple-pest-management/maggot/ I do this with my apple trees. It is the only way I can get any good apples. I only bag as many as I can use.

Aware of the bagging technique but I'm going to try spraying this year as we've already agreed with the neighbor. Do you know whether apple maggots will also infest flowering crabs or is the fruit too small to interest them. Thanks in advance.

Depending on the size of the apple, an apple is an apple. Some of the very tiny ones may be a bit too small but no guarantees.