I have an infestation of gypsy moths. Over 100 large trees are affected....

I have an infestation of gypsy moths. Over 100 large trees are affected. Davey Tree sprayed and killed the majority of them but I know they could not get them all. Do the ones that are still up in the trees have to come down to pupate? If so I think I can prevent them from going back up. To further complicate the problem I have English Ivy going up the trees and on the ground below.The ivy may give them cover to pupate.

Mahoning County Ohio gypsy moth horticulture

Good morning. Sorry to hear that you have been invaded by the gypsy moth. I would be willing to talk to you over the telephone if any of the information provided is unclear or you would like additional details. It is about this time of the year, or during their instar / cycle, that the gypsy moths have a modification in their behavior. Many of the caterpillars will feed primarily at night, and come down and "take cover" from the summer heat and the potential threat of being a bird snack up higher in the canopy. Some people will put burlap around the trees to serve as a place the caterpillars will hide during the day. Although not a good control measure, it will help in monitoring the population. Sounds like the ivy on the trees could do the same thing. I have found that vines growing up the trees provide a perfect location for the female moths to lay egg masses later in the season. You may also want to alert your find to the local Extension office in Mahoning County. Eric Barrett is an excellent Extension Educator, and would likely find your insect pest interesting and give him a handle on where the pest is. The Ohio Department of Agriculture does have a voluntary suppression program that you might be interested in. There are requirements to the program including a minimum of 50 acres, and a minimum of 250 egg masses per acre. In Lucas County, coordinator among property owners who don't have 50 acres, but properties add up to the minimum requirement has occurred. Their website is full of useful information. http://www.agri.ohio.gov/divs/plant/gypsy/gypsy-index.aspx Please let me know if you would like to talk more about your situation. My email is stone.91@osu.edu

Hi -

We have a clinic right here in Canfield, OH, when these issues come up in the future. You can bring in samples on Mondays and Thursdays from 9am-12pm during the months from April until October. We are located at 490 S. Broad St, Canfield, OH, across from the Canfield Fairgrounds.

We also answer questions on an as needed basis during the winter months. This just might take a week or two based on our staff of experts.

Call us at 330-533-5538 if you have any questions.