Crusty Piglets

I have 21 piglets. They seem to be getting this terrible "crust" all over them. It has caused one piglet to lose part of its tail. Now the crust seems to be opening up into open sores. They are getting this "crust" on their backs, tails, ears, and under their eyes. Can anyone tell me what this might be and how I can treat it? I have heard about the pig disease that is going around, what are the symptoms of it? Could this "crust" be a part of that? I need assistance ASAP. Thank You, Roland Wagner (303) 810-0332 Keenesburg, CO. P.S. The piglets in the pics are still alive, they were sleeping.

Weld County Colorado animals swine health

Hi Roland,

This looks and sounds to me like Greasy Pig Disease, which is actually a type of Staphylococcous infection. A long-acting antibiotic, like Lincomycin can be used to treat the piglets. They can become dehydrated, so make sure they are getting plenty of water and electrolytes.

Megan