water seepage

Asked June 8, 2014, 10:12 AM EDT

Who's responsibility is it to control irrigated water from traveling to another property and causing minor flooding. Is it the responsibility on the landowner running the water to keep it from traveling to a neighbor property or is the damaged property owner responsible for preventing the water to travel on his property?

Boulder County Colorado

1 Response

Best place to ask is the Division 1 Engineers office. They will have the ability to answer the question.


Under most circumstances, it is the landowners responsibility to control runoff from his property from irrigation. However, it can not be contained in a manor that does not allow it to return to the stream.