facts about foxes

I have foxes in my yard I live in town, I want to know more about them, their habits, their diet, how safe is my small dog, and my family. As most animals that have adapted to urban life do not seem to fear humans, just need to more about foxes

Greene County Iowa

Hi,

You and your family should be entirely safe from the foxes, provided you give them their space and don't interfere with their burrow and/or the pups themselves. They eat mostly insects and small mammals, though they'd also enjoy your dog's dog food. My hope is that you feed your dog indoors. If that is the case, there shouldn't be an issue between the fox and dog competing for food.

Foxes are primarily active around dawn and dusk (crepuscular) but the youngsters can sometimes be active in the middle of the day or in the middle of the night.

Actions that you can take to reduce the likelihood of a problem with the foxes:

1. Keep your rubbish in a secure container that the foxes will be unable to access.
2. If the foxes are causing trouble because of urinating/defecating in places such as gardens, area repellents can be used to discourage them.
3. Keep your dog away from the foxes, as they are wild animals that may carry any number of ectoparasites or disease organisms that you would not want your small dog to be exposed to.

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have further questions or concerns about the foxes.

Sincerely,

Rebecca

Thanks so much for the quick reply, I consider foxes a wild animal so was concerned about their habits, thanks for the very through answer, Lois Brant